Saturday, October 01, 2005

...




An improvised explosive device killed a female Airman during a convoy mission supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.Airman 1st Class Elizabeth Jacobson, 21, was providing convoy security Sept. 28 near Camp Bucca, Iraq, when the vehicle she was riding in was hit by an improvised explosive device. The Riviera Beach, Fla., native was assigned to the 17th Security Forces Squadron at Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas. Airman Jacobson had been in the Air Force for two years and had been deployed to Iraq for more than three months. She is the first female Air Force Airman killed in the line of duty in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.“She was an outstanding Airman who embraced life and took on all the challenges and responsibilities with extraordinary commitment to her country, her comrades and her family,” said Col. Scott Bethel, 17th Training Wing commander at Goodfellow.“Her dedication to the U.S. Air Force and serving her country was evident in all aspects of who this young lady was,” he said. “Team Goodfellow and the San Angelo community are deeply saddened by this tragic loss of one of our cherished family members,” Colonel Bethel said. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this difficult time. We ask that all Americans keep Airman Jacobson, her family and the men and women serving in the military, overseas and in the United States in their thoughts and prayers as they continue to keep America free.”



Hey guys, today is a bittersweet day today..


I fellow female airman has died in iraq a few days ago! This picture was sent to me and i posted it. I hate it when the cards fall like this...

Also i have a picture of me and a pic of my fellow airman.. a pilot that allowed me to take a pic in night vison equipment. Well i hope you like...

P.s. I am standing on a Wing.. I have yet to get clearance to post my up close and personal pictures online, but when i do i will try to post a good one if i find one

6 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I'm really, really sorry. I don't know quite what to say that would even be enough. She was so young and beautiful - and what a horrible first to be.. Her commitment to her country is something for everyone to be proud of, but I'm just so sad. I'm sad you had to post this.

My thoughts and prayers are definitely with her family, with all of you guys.

I read your blog everyday and it reminds me not to forget that while I'm over here - you all are over there.. protecting us. And I pray every night that God will protect all of you.

It was nice to hear your voice. Be okay. Be safe.

Hugs from Holli, Nate Nate & Faith

3:42 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Bittersweet is right..huh.

I will take a minute to think of Elizabeth Jacobson and her family when I have a moment to myself..

It makes me sad to think of the people she has left behind...and her age..she was really young. But I guess this is the price that you all might have to pay by being over there..and I know I don't have to tell you that..

The pictures are really great..and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one of you on the wing.. It's just a really great picture.

Haley

I actually thought about you at work today..wondered what kinds of shit you were facing..compared to my.. vacuuming of the cafe'..

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that just sucks and makes me sooo very very sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Airman Jacobson's family. How awful for them, for her parents.. what a nightmare.

I love the pics you posted. I think of you often and pray for your safety. When I don't see a post for a few days I start to worry.

Hugs to you. Stay safe.

6:56 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

p.s. - I do love the pics of you.. and I guess you eventually being "revealed" will be fun.. I was just too blown away by the other to comment on the pics. But whomever is taking your pics - they are mysterious and beautiful, which is kind of bizarre, considering the circumstances..

Regardless - what you are on the inside has already been revealed.. so the outside will just be like a little treat.

Okay - be safe. (can I say that enough???)

Probably not.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this on a daily basis in one form or another. I am praying for Airman Jacobson and her family, I can't imagine what it must be like for them. I also pray for you and the rest of y'all daily and stress if I don't see a post.

I love to see what pics are posted too. The wing one is really cool. Ditto what Holli said! hugs~mama

9:14 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I love these pictures if only because I feel like they are a candid view of what your world is like there.
I feel bad when I hear of another young person dying.....it doesn't get much press over here state-side and it sickens me. You do your fellow servicemen a real honor by writing and telling us about them.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home