Wednesday, September 07, 2005

First Flight Back

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to write to you, so here goes.



After I got checked out by the docs, and reunited with everyone, it was time for action. I felt as if this was my first time in Iraq, and I didn't know what to expect. We got the call the some insurgents where near Tikrit, and they had some IP(Iraqi Police) and IA(Iraqi Army) pinned down. So as we flew out, I had the song Over and over again by Tim McGraw and Nelly in my mind. I had the hot wind and dust particles just breathing over me(it felt like) and just Iraq just taking over my body as it had before I left. Yea it may not make any sense, but I guess you gotta be over here to understand. Anyhoo, we are in flight and im constantly checking my weapon and scanning the ground. I kinda felt as if the iraqis knew that the crazy aerial gunner was back and they were in trouble. We flew fast and hard, and I could feel the adrenaline pumping and I was ready. Ready to defend my friends at any and all costs. So as we get there, we see this hard lined insurgency firing hard and fast into the IA's "weak position" and they were under manned and scared. Some Muslims are afraid of death, and some don't mind it, so it makes it a terrible situation on the ground. As I look all around me, I see the best thing in the world fly by me. Its the A-10. This Female pilot, Maj K. Is awesome and fucking fearless. She flies by and lays down some awesome fire and silences the fight. Noone on the Insurgency moved. A old beat up nissan was up against a building with its front wheels spinning. And as usual, the IA shouts and screams and parties like its 1999 on the ground. Well after circling the area two or three times we get the call that a iraqi child has been shot; caught in the cross fire of the IA and the insurgency. Major K lets us know that she will be there, and the marines are in route. Well we move to a area that's hot for insurgency, and land. I fly with some of the bravest and most caring guys out there. We land and the pararescueman hops out and insurgents come out of the wood works. I lay down fire and they retreat and a few of them fall. The PJ picks the kid up like a rag doll and runs back to the bird like he had on flaming drawers and we try to gain altitude fast and Major K. comes through and finishes the rest of them off as if it was a training mission she had done 1500 times. As we are getting higher and higher I look at this kid who has been hit twice in the upper shoulder area. His shoulder looking like a pack of hamburger meat. He is in and out of consciousness and the PJ is working on him. Man I hate it when stuff like this happens. Kids are so innocent and he didn't deserve this. What if he never uses his arm again? What if his dreams are shattered? Man I really hope this country comes to grip! They need it so bad. We land at a forward operating loc and the medics run to take this kid, and I wanted to go with him so bad until his family would arrive via the marines but I didn't. I learned a longtime ago that if you get too attached it just fucks with you. I prefer not to know the outcome of the kid, but I wish the best for him.


I just hope that if you are reading this that if you don't get your life together, you may not have the chance at a later date. I mean look at New Orleans... just gone...people lost their lives and..well im not gonna preach to you guys.. see ya

12 Comments:

Blogger Home Site said...

Rome: How Titus Pullo Brought Down The Empire
Last week I said that this show was just too immense that I was having trouble covering everything.
Interesting blog you have - good work Play internet poker the most popularity game anywhere

7:18 AM  
Blogger pfong said...

I hope the kid is ok too. Take care and be safe out there.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

What a welcome back...we're praying for the child as well as you. Tonite I thought my probs. were bad. You just put it all in perspective...be careful!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Rose © said...

My mind always thinks about the children when I think about everything going on in Iraq. I posted a picture on my blog (http://silentranks.blogspot.com) of a soldier holding a child that really touched me. Keep safe.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Wow, that was all very intense. I could imagine it all in my mind and well, I didn't like it. I hope that things get figured out soon so that you guys don't have to stay there. Yeah I thought about how lucky I was today. And I do appreciate it, but man sometimes I just take it for granted. I have to try not to. Please stay safe and sounds like you're doing a good job from the above comment.

Haley

4:28 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I pray that you and your buddies all remain safe. Next time you come across an injured child hold there hand for a moment and let them know that God is watching over them and people are praying for them. God bless you all.

5:22 PM  
Blogger ME said...

pfong i hope the kids is ok too, but i just like to keep my distance with that kinda stuff. It makes my job easier.

5:54 PM  
Blogger ME said...

Mamma- Thanks for reading my blog. Ya know sometimes we(humans) take alot of stuff for granted when we shouldnt.

5:55 PM  
Blogger ME said...

bonnie-thanks for the post. YOu look coool in those glasses btw HEHE

5:56 PM  
Blogger ME said...

haley-everytime i see ur pic it makes me laugh. You are a cool girly girl hang out with the buds chic :D

5:57 PM  
Blogger ME said...

jan- i used to hold there hands, but i try to keep the distance. The only people that i get emotional with are my military buddies. Thats it. Sorry if that sounds mean but it just had to be like that. I will explain later one day.

5:58 PM  
Blogger ME said...

issaquron-thnks for posting. Alot of vets give me courage. Its good to see you on my blog thanks alot.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home